R E F L E C T I O N

Reflection




Looking back on my work my work from each assessment, I could see how the progression and learning process aided me in producing the final project. Figures 1 through 4, highlight the different techniques that would essentially guide us to create a petrol tank at the end of the semester. These small projects allowed us to gain knowledge and learn about techniques in metal making. Techniques included shrinking, stretching, hammer-toning, rolling and bending are just some of the ways in which we created our shapes. 







Compare and Contrast of My Work

Our first project was the bowl in which we learnt about shrinking the metal to create a semi sphere shape and then stretching the metal to flatten it to create a smooth surface. Combining these two techniques, bending was added to create a torus shape that required bending and shrinking to form the general shape with stretching on the sides. A aesthetic technique was included of hammer-toning, consisting of using a metal face hammer on another metal surface to stretch the metal creating flat spots that is a desired effect in metal making. A different approach was taken for the tray where we took a mould and formed our shape around it. Shrinking from the previous shapes allowed us to shrink the corners of the tray. Similarly for the blister, a mould was used where we stretched the metal to form the shape of the mould. These techniques are all different and similar in their own ways although compliment each other at the same time. The main contrasted techniques of shrinking and stretching were the most common of the techniques used.

The bowl was the project in which I found the most interesting as it was the start of my learning process. It showed us the technique or shrinking and stretching that were two of the main techniques that we used all semester. I was happy with the final product although there were just as many negatives as there were positives. I would have changed a few things to make my project more complete and of a higher standard:

1. Make the bowl more rounded.
2. Create a smoother finish.
3. Not rush the english wheel process.
4. Trim the edges with the sheet cutters.

I found my bowl was lacking in these areas and would have benefited with more attention and care taken. The main materials used were rubber mallets, sand bags and the english wheel which was all that was needed for the project and gave a relatively good outcome. Below shows a comparison of another students bowl and mine in which the standard is a lot higher than my own providing a more complete project. 




Reflection on My Discipline 

As I come from a Architecture background, materials, model making and forms were something that I could easily relate to with ease. There were many techniques taught that were interesting and informative in terms of thinking outside the box. Some of these skills can be seen below. Many of these techniques I was able to pick up quite easily and found that they were simple to perform. The bowl was quite easy for me to visualise and could see what I needed to do in my head. Coming from a design background, this gave me a better chance to create a beautiful bowl. Being an easy shape, shrinking and stretching were the only techniques needed  and felt comfortable using mallets, stumps and sand bags to create the shape of the bowl. Through learning the skills taught by our tutors and watching demonstrations of the skills being put in use, it helped to understand how to apply the techniques into our project. It gives me another skill that i could possibly use one day in my discipline as we are constantly making models not only to scale but also conceptual that this could most definitely come into place. 

Related image

Related image



What I Could Have Done Better?

The figures below show the areas in which i was not so happy with and if I were to retry and attempt it again, would change. There are a few things I would change which include making the bowl more rounded. This would require more shrinking at the beginning of the process to give the bowl much more curve. I would also like to create a smoother overall finish where I would need to stretch the metal more with the english wheel that would extract most of the bumps and imperfections from the surface. In saying that, this would be a process not to rush as it was very easy to make a mistake and leave marks on the metal. When changing the angle of direction, that area would be stretched therefore making sure not to over stretch areas would be a key factor to be mindful for next time. Not rushing would eliminate the risk of marks on the surface from the edge of the bits. Also, as an aesthetic, making sure the edges are perfectly straight and clean would make the whole project come together nicely making it look much more complete. These are the main points in which I would have to change if I were to create another bowl in the future.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE FUEL TANK